Submissions Guidelines – Poetry
Please note that Cormorant only publishes writers who are both Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. We will be reading poetry for 2019 beginning in March. The reading period this year will be March 1 to April 15. If you wish to submit, please send a query only, accompanied by three to five sample poems, by email. Please respect all guidelines below for formatting and naming your documents – it greatly simplifies filing, printing and reading. Queries received outside of the designated period will not be read, and queries that do not follow the guidelines risk not being read.
1) The subject line of your email should read QUERY, plus YOUR NAME. Your query, in the body of your email, should include the following:
– a brief description of your manuscript (maximum 200 words)
– two or three sentences about your background (include date and place of birth)
– a note about publications, including publication details of any previous books or chapbooks
– notification if your manuscript is currently submitted elsewhere
– your postal mailing address and telephone number
2) Your sample should consist of the following, sent as a SINGLE email attachment:
– three to five poems (not to exceed six pages), presented as ONE document;
– with page breaks inserted between poems (use Insert on the toolbar),
– document saved in Rich Text Format (no Docx docs, please!),
– document saved under the name: [YOUR NAME] Sample Poems
Send your query to Robyn Sarah at r(dot)sarah(at)cormorantbooks(dot)com
Please do not send a full manuscript or a longer sample unless you are asked for one. Please send nothing by post unless you are asked.
If, on the basis of the sample, we would like to see more of your work, you will be contacted by email within two or three weeks of the end of the reading period. If you have heard nothing by second week of May, you may safely assume we are not interested.